|Citation||Sutherland, C. 2011. Cowichan River Watershed - Climate Change Impact Assessment. Prepared for BC Conservation Foundation.|
|Abstract/Description or Keywords||A climate change assessment was completed as part of the Cowichan Basin Water Management
Plan (CBWMP) process in 2006. However, significant advancements in climate change science
and data availability have been made in the past five years including the fourth update of the UN
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) assessment report (AR4) in 2007 as well as
the launch of the Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC) Online Regional Analysis tool.
The BC Conservation Foundation has retained Kerr Wood Leidal Associates Ltd. (KWL) to
prepare an update to the Cowichan River climate change assessment using the latest climate
change forecasts provided by PCIC.
The scope of the study included:
1. Review of climate change forecast data for the Cowichan Valley Region provided by
PCIC based at the University of Victoria;
2. Development of a distributed monthly water balance model of the watershed;
3. Calibration and verification of the model using recorded river discharge data and back
calculated inflow data used in the CBWMP study;
4. Calculation of monthly average discharges for both the current (1961 to 1990 normal
period) and future (2050s) climate conditions; and
5. Compare the results with the previous results developed as part of the CBWMP.
|Regional Watershed||Vancouver Island South|
|Sub-watershed if known||Cowichan|
|Contact Name||Craig Sutherland|
|Contact Email||[email protected]|